Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Missing my passion





As far back as I can remember I have been taking photos.
This photo (not that clear as its a photo of a photo)
was taken when I would have been about eight years old and I won a prize at the show with it.
What makes it even more special is not only did I take the photo but I developed the film as well.
I loved all parts of photography, the use of film, the setting up for the photo,
taking lots of time to make sure the angles and lighting were just right,
not wanting to waste to many shots because film was not easy for me to afford.
Then the magical part, taking the film into the dark room and watching the photos appear.
Don't get me wrong, I love digital technology which means you can snap away without any thought about the photo or wasting of costly film, but for me it took away, for a long time, the joy I had in the art of setting up and planning photos.
The photos I took with a small, cheap, little digital camera were of my children,
I had bought it when we travelled to a state swim championship and I realised I hadn't taken any photos for a long time and I felt it was important to document this moment.
The photos I took from then on were what I considered quick snaps,
used to document my girls lives and what they were doing.
I didn't take anything else, I couldn't really see the point in it all as now my life was about my children and letting them live their lives, there wasn't any time for me to be doing something so wasteful as taking photographs when there was always somewhere to be and something to do that was more important.
Then several years ago my eldest daughter, Heidi, was selected to travel and teach in Sierra Leone and we decided to give her a decent camera as her 18th birthday present so that she could record her trip.
(well it was actually for her 17th, but we explained that it was an early 18th present so she wasn't to expect anything special the following year for her actual 18th)
When she returned from Africa (with many photographs to show) I would take some time with her camera, taking it with me some days to have a go at taking photos again.
I had forgotten all I had learnt in the early days, couldn't remember how the settings worked
or even how to set up a shot.
But it was fun to be back with a camera in my hand, to just be able to go out there and snap away, knowing it wasn't going to cost me anything to just play around.
I had slowly over the past 12 months been rediscovering my joy with the camera,
but of course Heidi has taken her camera with her to Adelaide and I don't even have a fancy phone that has a decent camera on it so I'm stuck without a camera again (well I do have a ipad and I have been using that to take photos, but it's not exactly a camera)
One day I hope to own a good camera so I can continue to do what I love.
 

18 comments:

  1. I don't care for taking photos with the iPad, either... because they're all fuzzy. Not exactly the best camera even if it's the only one you have.

    My hope is that someone will buy you a decent camera for Mother's Day so you can rekindle your joy of photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find my iPad quality for photos is quite good, it is a fairly new one though, but yeah it's not a camera

      Delete
  2. I've always had a love of photographs but am hoping to find a love of photography. I've never had a good camera but am considering investing in one soon. In the meantime, my iPhone does a better job than most point and clicks did until a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters phones both take really good photos, in fact one of them took a few photos of an accident which was put on front page of newspaper, large sized and in colour and you couldn't tell it was not a proper camera....mine alas is cruddy

      Delete
  3. I love your story Katrina, and well remember the days of expensive film and then (for me) the cost of getting it developed...my poor mum!! I hope you get another camera soon too, as you say in your header, this is one of your passions...we should all follow our passions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only now I think about the costs....oh dear, me thinks I should repay my parents

      Delete
  4. What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing this. I too love taking photos however I have never had the joy of developing my own film. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so lucky that the semi retired doctor where we lived was also a photographer and had his own lab, his way of thanking mum for helping him (she is a nurse) sometimes when he needed it was to teach my sister and I how to develop film

      Delete
  5. I am using my iPhone as a camera, some look really great - I am happy to have it ready on me whenever I feel the need to take a pic. Wishing you to get a new camera soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work quite well the fancy phones

      Delete
  6. Great story! I am glad you are re-discovering your passion. When I was younger, I used to be into photography--even learned how to develop my photos etc. My father and \brother Mark got more into it than I did.Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I will get there, glad you got the same experience too

      Delete
  7. Wow that is an amazing picture for an 8 year old to take and develop. I hope you get your camera soon. Thanks for sharing an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you - its my favourite

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed reading about your rediscovered passion. I've never been one for taking photos. I love the artistic aspect, but can't get to grips with the camera my sister gave me. I grew up in Adelaide, and miss the quite, orderly streets and the friendly people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that it takes a bit of fiddling to find a camera that you like, I always ask if I can handle different people's cameras, for some people a small camera is good, others like larger heavy weight ones....it's very personal

      Delete
  9. This is so timely for me, Kat, since my post today (written but not yet typed) is all about my love of taking photographs (though I am in no way a photographer). I agree with your previous commenters - that I hope you'll be able to find a way back into your photography in the weeks ahead. It's a cry from your heart, and those should never be ignored. Sometimes, however, they do have to be shelved until circumstances and funds allow. But the spirit often finds a way. Thanks for sharing your passion with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....I look forward to reading your post

      Delete

Please leave a comment